Monday, April 25, 2016

How to tint BB Frosch Premium Clear Wax

Am I the only one who waxes a piece and thinks..... hmmmmm..... I wish I had a top notch white wax to get that beachy driftwood look or a light brown wax instead of a dark brown wax, etc....???
 
SURE you could do a lime/color wash or a faux glaze to get a similar look. I mean, if you have been to one of my BB Frosch Chalk Paint Workshops, you have heard me say a million times that a faux glaze is my absolute FAVORITE technique/look ever! I mean I REEEALY love it!
BUT sometimes it just doesn't achieve that look that you are going after, at least not the way a wax would.
 
The solution!?!? TINTED WAX! What is tinted wax, you ask? Well I am about to tell you!
Did you know that you can take your BB Frosch Premium Finishing Clear Wax and mix in some BB Frosch Chalk Paint and WALAAAAAA, TINTED WAX!
 
Shall we get started?
 


 
STEP 1 : Gather your supplies. You will need:
 
*high quality clear wax
 
*chalk paint in the color you want your tinted wax to be
(mix BB  Frosch chalk paint powder with flat water based paint in your choice of color to get your highend chalk paint)
 
*lint free wax cloths
 
*wax wand
 
*wax brush
 
*something to mix your wax in - a small container or plastic plate
 
 
STEP 2 :
Scoop out a small amount of wax onto either your plate or container. For the purposes of this tutorial, I only did a vey small amount of wax. If you were doing a piece of furniture then I would do more wax. No remember, it is better to mix up more then have a bunch of left overs. We are all about only mixing up what you need.
 
 
 
STEP 3 :
Add your mixed chalk paint. You don't need a whole lot of paint to tint your wax. I would say about a 1:5 to 1:4 ratio of paint to wax, But use your best judgement, again you can always add more paint if needed, its easier to add more then take away.
 
 
 
STEP 4 :
 
MIX! Super easy right!?
 
 
 
STEP 5 :
 
Well this really isn't much of a step as much as it is to show you that our wax  and chalk paint is now all mixed thoroughly together. Now you are ready to apply your wax!
 
Brush on your wax using your BB Frosch wax brush. Make sure to wipe off the excess wax with your lint free wax clothes. BB Frosch Premium Finishing Wax dries like, REALLY FAST! So make sure to work in small sections and wipe off the excess right after you apply. After it is all dry buff with your lint free wax cloth to your desired sheen.
 
 
Here are some of the wax colors I have tried :
 
1-fuschia with black wax



2- navy with grey wax
 
 
3-turquiose with tan wax
 
4- tan with light green wax
 
 
 
Like with other BB Frosch products, the possibilities are ENDLESS! What color of wax do YOU want to try!?
 
 
 
 
To purchase any of the BB Frosch products I used or to sign up for a workshop, msg me on FB
 Don't forget to follow us on IG, , FB and follow us on Periscope. Look for Delila Mae Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment