Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Corkboard Makeover

So this is my FIRST tutorial, so be kind :) Plus I am watching Once Upon a Time while I write this, anyone else LOVE that show!!?? Anyway because it is my first, I decided to go EASY! And what is easier then a corkboard makeover!? I have had this corkboard for forever and knew that someday it would be needed and that someday I would make it "fancy" (that is what my kids call every upcycle, craft, you name it!) Well that someday was finally here. I am in the process of FINALLY organizing and decorating my office/craft room/homeschool room. While the corkboard isn't necessarily  hideous, it just wasn't my style.

So off to the craft store I went to pick out some fabric. I starched and ironed out my fabric, while the starch isn't necessary, I find it helpful as it stiffens the material and makes its easier to work with. I cut the fabric a few inches bigger to leave room to work with and glue down on the backside. I didn't measure before I went to the store, so I got extra just in case, therefore I needed to cut it out.



Once I had the fabric all cut out, I used a spray adhesive. Obviously I am not paid to endorse any products so this is completely my unbiased opinion..... I LOVE Elmers Craft Bond spray adhesive! It was super tacky yet I was also able to peel the fabric up and reposition if I needed too. It was so adhesive I had to SCRUB my hands a few times to get it all off! Yep I am SOLD! Ok back to the tutorial ;) There is some overspray so make sure to have something underneath with SEVERAL extra inches or go outside, just know there is overspray and again this stuff is tacky!   So you don't want it on your carpet , counter, table, you get the picture. I worked in about 4 inch sections so I could make sure it was even and smooth out any wrinkles.
 

I made sure it was all smoothed out and that it was "crisp" along all the edges because I am going to use thumbtacks around the edge and I didn't want the fabric to not lay smooth, if that makes sense?

 
Now onto the fun stuff! I used good ol thumbtacks and pushed them in around the edge of the corkboard. I wanted to do some cool design but I was in a hurry and just wanted to get it done, plus after you push in a hundred or so thumbtacks your thumb starts to hurt ;) I am a bit OCD on thngs being just so and even so I drew a line in pencil from edge to edge to that they are straight. then I measure out the spacing and made marks for those. Granted it is still not perfect, but it could have been much worse and from a distance you can hardly tell
 

Once all my thumbtacks are in place, I used the spray adhesive and sprayed the edges and smoothed the fabric over the edge. then spray along one side on the back and smooth the fabric down and repeat on all 4 sides on the back. Your fabric should stay just fine with the spray adhesive, but I am overly cautious, so I added a thumbtack in each corner and 2 along each edge. And WALAAA! your new corkboard is all "fancied" up and ready to pin those important notes, reminders, pictures or whatever else you want!

 
Hope this inspires you to transform something in your home that will make you smile! I am so excited to get this hung and start using it! Whatta think?

COST BREAKDOWN :

Corkboard - free
Fabric - $7 (it would have been cheaper if I measured before hand)
Pushpins - $3.76 (I used one pkg of 188 and a small amount from another pkg)
Spray Adhesive - $2

No comments:

Post a Comment