Wednesday, April 8, 2015

This LIttle Bench

One of my dear friends from HS asked my if I would redo a bench for her. it was a fantastic Lane cedar bench, and let me tell you, it smelled FANTASTIC!  It had great lines, the top lifts for incredible storage, and a cute little key hole to boot! It definitely needed a facelift and I was thrilled that I got to be the one to do it!

 
Can you see the potential gold mine!? Regardless of which paint I use, I ALWAYS sand. If it is a no prep type of paint like milk or chalk paint, it is more of a quick, light sand to just rough it up a bit and give the paint something a little extra to grip too. We went with a white DIY chalk paint. When doing a light color like white, and a darker base, expect to do an extra coat or 2 depending on which type of paint you use. With this piece I did 3 coats of my DIY chalk paint. Next up is my favorite part.... can you guess?...... YEP! DISTRESSING! A light distressing took place. With the pic below I am about mid process and this is right after it had been hand distressed with sandpaper.
 
 
Miss J wanted more of a distressed look then what a light sanding afforded. I did a light all over stain with Rustoleum glaze in Java Brown. The nice thing about glaze is that you can wipe it away easier then you can with stain, which makes it perfect for DIY-ers or the beginner.  Miss J also wanted to ditch the gold hardware, good call! Don't you agree!? Nothing that a little metal spray paint cant fix! Add some new fabric and the end result is stunning! Can you say OOOH LA LA! I was very tempted to bribe her to let me buy it from her! Even the hubs was down with that plan, so that says something!
 
 
 
SUPPLY LIST :
* Glidden white base paint - no color added
mixed into a DIY chalk paint

* Rustoleum Glaze in Java Brown

* Rustoleum Satin Oil Rubbed Bronze + primer spray paint

* Verathane Water Based Heavy Duty Polyurathane

No comments:

Post a Comment